Here you will find a listing of the different ways you can help the Drum. As with any museum, help can come in many forms such as money, equipment, or time.
This is a photo of my oldest daughter pointing to her daddy's name on a sign at the entrance to the Drum. This photo was taken in July of 2012. The sign showcases the many people and companies that have contributed in some way to restoring the Drum.
- Visit USS Drum (SS-228)
- This one is simple if you live close enough. Just schedule a day to pay a visit to Battleship Memorial Park. Bring your family, bring your friends. Visitors keep the Park running!
- Tell others about USS Drum (SS-228)
- After your visit the Park, share your experience with your friends. Share any photos you took at the Park. Perhaps others will decide to check out the USS Drum based on what you show and tell them. You'd be surprised how many of your peers would be interested in the Drum submarine if they only knew she existed!
- Volunteer your time or services. There are many needs, big and small, that any willing volunteer could fulfill. They are always looking for knowledgable submarine veterans to help give tours. At this time there is no organized "crew" that conducts work weekends, but it is an idea to work towards! For more information on volunteering, please contact Lesley Waters or email Tom Bowser at:
- Make a monetary donation
- The Mobile Bay Base USSVI is accepting monetary donations for maintenance and restoration of the USS Drum. This money is dispersed to and used by Tom Bowser and Lesley Waters for whatever they need to maintain and restore the submarine. This method of donating gets the money to where it's needed the quickest. All of what you give will be used for the Drum, not for anything else in the Park. Please consider making your donation through this USSVI base.
To give through Mobile Bay Base USSVI:
Checks should be made payable to "Mobile Bay Base, USSVI" and make a notation that the check is for the "USS Drum Maintenance/Restoration Fund". Checks should be mailed to:
Mobile Bay Base, USSVI
Attn: USS Drum Maintenance/Restoration Fund
5319 Hwy 90, #102
Mobile, AL 36619
- Make a REALLY BIG monetary donation
- The United States Submarine Veterans, Inc. (USSVI) Charitable Foundation was approved for tax exemption under Section 501 (C)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code on December 5, 2000. Donations made to the USSVI Charitable Foundation are tax-deductible under Section 170 of the Internal Revenue Code, subject to the limitations applicable to all charitable donations. This is the perfect way for associations, organizations, and corporations to donate to the Drum.
This page last updated 11/24/2016
DRUM228.ORG created 10/3/2008